Bomb Threat and Suspicious Device
When a bomb threat is made over the telephone, obtain the following information from the caller:
- Exact location of the device.
- Time set for explosion;
- Description of the device;
- Reason the caller has placed the bomb;
- Exact words used by the caller.
- Keep this information as confidential as possible.
- Notify the Police Department. Call 911.
- Notify the Building Management Office at 503 412 4859.
Once the Building Management Office has been notified of a bomb threat, it is our policy to advise your firm’s manager or senior officer. It is up to the manager or senior officer to decide whether it is appropriate to evacuate the office.
In the event that you are asked to evacuate the Building, please move away from the Building so as to allow unfettered access to emergency personnel. Do not re-enter the Building until the Management Office, the Police, or the Fire Department have given clearance.
Suspicious Packages or Mail Bombs
Letter bombs are usually sent through the mail addressed to a specific individual in the company, usually disguised to look like some sort of gift or a small package. Letter bombs have the power to kill or seriously maim anyone in close proximity. Letter bombs are usually contained within a large size manila envelope 1/4” to 1/2” thick and are fairly rigid.
However, the technology used in letter bombs has become increasingly sophisticated, and can be difficult to detect visually. Letter bombs have been mailed from cities or small towns in the United States, as well as from foreign countries. Be especially wary of letters that are mailed to titles -- Chairman, President, Manager, Security Officer, etc. rather than directly to named individuals.
If you suspect a parcel contains a letter bomb:
- Clear everyone out of the immediate area; establish at least a 25-foot radius around the package.
- Notify the police at 911 and Building Management.
- DO NOT HANDLE IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
- DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DEACTIVATE IT YOURSELF
We invite you to learn how to implement your own emergency preparedness plans by using the resources from our PREP website.
LIFE SAFETY & SECURITY
Become familiar with the life safety information specific to your building and location. Sign in to Building Safety Solutions to view the multimedia presentation that will help you in a crisis event.